Friday, September 24, 2010

Daoism

I don't understand, or maybe I do; either way it is what it is. Daoism is extremely confusing. Almost every belief is contradictory to itself. If you think you understand it, you don't. So if you don't comprehend it, then you must understand (I know it pretty well then). This whole contradictory idea is mind boggling. It truly makes you think about everything in life. It puts perspective on emotions, attitudes, and actions. While I was reading the wiki-link, I noticed it said that yin and yang is often used to express some principles of Daoism. Yin and yang represents that all forces are interdependent of one another; you can't have one without the other. When I was reading this, I couldn't help but think of Newton's third law of motion: every action has an equal and opposite reaction. This may not just apply to physics, it could apply to all aspects of life. If I try to understand Dao, then I won't be able to because the opposite force won't allow me to do so. I don't know if this is true because I don't understand what forces could be reacting with each other. If I make a decision, what force is reacting to the decision I just made? If I tried to figure this answer out, I would probably never find it; therefore proving that Dao relates to at least some matters in life (referring to if you don't understand than you actually do). With this said, I don't necessarily agree with Daoism, but I do think that some people would be better off trying to follow some of its teachings.

Like I said before, it puts perspective on emotions, attitudes, and actions. It makes all of these seem relevant to how you react to situations. If you are forced to move somewhere you don't want to, you will probably be angry. Your anger might make you hate where you move even more. Your actions and attitudes are based on your emotions. If you are angry, you might end up hating it; but if you follow Dao and "go with the flow," then you will end up having a happier attitude about the whole situation. If people have some of these characteristics, then they might be better off. This is because Dao follows Te, or in English the way or path. It doesn't matter what path you are on, as long as you follow it. Everyone has there own path, but eventually it leads to the same place.

Daoism is extremely confusing and sometimes contradictory. However, its belief about "going with the flow" is something that a plethora of people already follow. I think it is a good idea to an extent. If someone follows it completely, then he or she will just be somewhere without any goal to reach for. He or she will be waiting for something to happen. I don't agree with that, but I do believe that thinking in that aspect will develop a positive attitude in whomever does. Several motivational books talk about thinking positively. If you think positive, then you will be happier, but how can you think positively if you let situations bother you (such as moving)? Daoism is still confusing, but some of its teachings can be applied to life.

1 comment:

  1. I like that you looked in to ying and yang. Your explanation of that made me realize that a daoist would probably be comfortable with comparing trying to understand daoism to trying to bring two similarly charged magnets together. It can't be done and the more you try the more they'll slip out of your grasp. But if you flip the magnets and let them take their natural course, then the two will join and there will be harmony.

    At least I think that's what they'd say.

    ReplyDelete